Sunday, April 10, 2011

Feel the burn

Sunday Funday.  Most would consider this a day of leisure coupled with brunch, bloody mary's and baseball.  Add a 34-mile bike ride into that mix, and my Sunday is perfected.

I love running.  I really do.  Running and I have endured a relationship that's lasted for decades. Hell, we might even be common-lawed at this point.  But sometimes, I need my space.  I need to spice things up - with my bike. 

OMG, suburbs DO exist!
I wouldn't say I'm "cheating" on running by biking, but it is thrilling to bring something new and fresh into an old and stale relationship.  This Sunday, a group of fellow runners/friends biked to the suburbs...the SUBURBS!  I can't contain my excitement about this.  You just can't find a good strip mall and chain restaurants in the city these days.

Our trek ended at Johnny Brenda's, also known as the bar that serves the "Best bloody mary in Philly," according to myself and a few friends.  A few beverages and two bars later, I saddled up for a semi-intoxicated trek home.  I. Love. Sunday Funday.

I also love biking.  Despite the chronic pain in my quadriceps, I look forward to Sunday rides.  Perhaps this is a fad and the newness will wear off soon...but I doubt it.  My bike is my freedom.  I can go anywhere.  I can also go downhill a super high speeds, which is an adrenaline rush and a half. 

I've felt the burn before - relationships, work, finances - but this time, something's different.  The burn feels refreshing, not worrisome.  And I can't wait to feel it again.

2 comments:

  1. I love biking! It's not cheating, I promise =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to mix things up. Sometimes we need a little spice in our lives, and I think with your bike, you've got yours!

    ReplyDelete